"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Suffering is God's Plan

taken from RZIM's A Slice of Infinity by Jill Carattini

In those days, Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and teachers of the law. He began to explain to those who loved him that he would be put to death. Peter, like most of us reacting to the suffering of our loved ones, swore to protect him. "Never, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to you!" I can only imagine his shock at Jesus's response. Jesus turned to Peter and said, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." (Mat 16:23)

I cannot read that story without picturing my own reaction to those words. I probably would have been devastated. But I also know that when Jesus seems to say something devastating I should probably pay attention all the more. 

The intensity of his reaction to Peter portrays the intensity with which he knew he had to suffer, the weight of history, prophecy, and purpose he felt on his shoulders, and his severe understanding of the world's need for his affliction. 

To get in the way of his necessary suffering, a refrain uttered repeatedly in the gospel accounts and especially by Luke, was to be as an enemy obstructing the plan of God.

My gut reaction in the face of pain—my own and others—is to make it stop. Like Peter I vow to fix it, not knowing what I mean, just wanting it gone. Yet in the midst of suffering, Jesus says, we can have in mind the things of humanity or the things of God.

The Christian understanding of suffering is forged at the foot of the cross. At the cross, we are reminded that God's purpose will not ignore suffering but will confront it fully and personally and painfully. Christ was wounded and crushed for our iniquities. By the suffering and shame He endured, we are offered a balm for our own mortal wounds. Can God not also have a plan for our own pain?


As one theologian notes, "Jesus did not die in order to spare us the indignities of a wounded creation. He died that we might see those wounds as our own." At the cross, we see our sin and the suffering that we have caused because of it. But we also find meaning even in suffering that doesn't come as a direct result of our sin. We see, as Paul observed, that suffering can mysteriously move us, that God weeps with us, and that what was meant for ill God can move for good. We see that Christ who suffered for us, so walks with us in our own suffering. "For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ" wrote one disciple who suffered much. At the cross, we see that suffering is not only necessary but meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment