"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

He is Alive!

I miss Him … so much.  He was the only One that really understood me.  The only One that had ever cared.  He challenged my shallow beliefs.  He expanded my small one-sided thoughts exponentially.  He breathed color into my dull-gray existence.  He knew me, He respected me, He loved me… a woman.  He was my best friend. 

But more than a friend.  He was my Lord.  He was my Life.  And I don’t understand why, but He took my place on that cross.  Somehow He paid the penalty for my sins.  It should have been me!  There, hanging on that cross!  He hadn’t done anything wrong.  …  I’ll never forget those eyes, that look, as He died… for me.  … And now He’s gone. 

But there are these crazy rumors I’ve heard this morning.  Talk about missing soldiers and angels and an empty tomb.  I saw where they buried Him in the garden.  I’ve just got to go look for myself.  Even if I get arrested for being His follower.  I’ve got to know the truth ….

As I snuck up to the tomb, I was struck by an eerie silence broken only by occasional chirping birds.  Where have the guards gone?  Maybe it’s a trap.  Wait, that huge stone has been rolled away from the entrance.  I’ve just got to look inside…  It’s empty … except for the grave clothes… what does this mean?  I like mysteries, but this is like some cruel sick joke.  My broken heart couldn’t handle any more…

As the tears started down their well-worn tracks on my cheeks, I … I thought I heard my name.  I know exhaustion and grief can play tricks on the brain.  But, I heard it again, behind me.  As I slowly turned around, I couldn’t believe my eyes, or rather His eyes, those eyes I would never forget.  Love and compassion being lavished on me.  All I could do was cling to His feet and cry.   

I wanted to hold onto Him forever.  I didn’t want to lose Him again.  But He said He had to return to the Father.  I wanted to tell Him how sorry I was.  I wanted to tell Him how much I love Him.  I couldn’t comprehend that He was actually alive.  My brain was reeling.  How do I begin to describe the emotions?  In a single heartbeat, my entire world was turned right-side-up.  From the finality of death to the promise of life.  From utter despair to awesome hope.  From the awful weight of guilt for His death to …

A zillion thoughts and questions were flooding my mind.  “The Scripture cannot be broken.”  "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."  "I am the resurrection and the life.”  “Unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed.  But if it dies, it produces many seeds.”  Where there is no death, there can be no resurrection … no new life.   And that’s exactly what He had come to give me.  New life.  He didn’t come to live and serve and suffer and die to improve my old life.  He wanted to completely replace it … with His.  If I would be willing to deny myself and take up my cross daily and follow Him.

"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"  He had won!  Jesus had claimed victory over death.  He had nailed the Law to the cross.  He had written a new covenant with His blood - not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Only God can rise from the dead.  Pure love, perfect love, gospel love can never be contained.  He is alive.  He Is Alive.  HE IS ALIVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment