"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Blessed Self-Forgetfulness = Biblical Humility

I recently listened to a humbling message by Tim Keller called “Blessed Self-Forgetfulness”.  He was talking about Paul’s example of biblical humility.  

In 1 Timothy 1:15, Paul refers to himself as the chief of sinners.  But even though he sees himself that way, in 1 Cor 3:21-4:7, he talks about not letting anyone judge him and not even judging himself!  Basically he acknowledges his sins, but refuses to connect them to his identity in Christ so they won’t stop him from doing anything he’s called to do.  A humble person doesn’t think less of himself.  A humble person simply thinks of himself less.  He ceases to think of himself as good or bad.  Because he isn't thinking of himself at all.  He's thinking of Jesus and other people.  Blessed self-forgetfulness.

In the courtroom of what other people think of me, or even what I think of me, the verdict is already in.  I am His beloved with whom He is well-pleased.  Now I can love, give, and act in freedom because of the gospel.

Of course, Tim Keller said that he didn't personally know anybody like this.  But as we continually wash our brains with the gospel, may we progressively become more like Him.
Link to Audio Sermon

No comments:

Post a Comment