"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Preach to Myself

God's personal, limitless, unfailing love for me is my only firm foundation. (Rom 5:8, Luke 6:48)  Yet my heart and mind seem so easily distracted and divided.  My restless heart analyzes past events, fantasizes about the future, and grasps at any thought or idea that seems to offer freedom from pain as if God's love wasn't enough.  Stumbling over guilt, longing, grieving, depression.  Dissipating, scattering, squandering, and wasting the abundant life God promised. God's love is the only thing that truly satisfies. (Ps 90:14, Ps 63:3, Phil 3:8)

If my brain knows this, why does my heart become restless?  Why am I prone to wander from my only refuge? (Is 53:6a)  Lack of faith.  Since "faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Rom 10:17),  I've got to preach to myself to bring my restless heart back to the firm foundation of God's love.  Idols never satisfy and unbelief steals my peace and rest and joy.  "But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and forevermore." (Psa 131:2-3)

How good it is to be still in Your love!  How could I ever want anything more?

Translated from the section entitled Always Come Back to the Solid Place from The Inner Voice of Love by Henri Nouwen.

No comments:

Post a Comment