"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Friday, February 1, 2013

Be Still and Know

For many years I vaguely looked to other people for acceptance, affirmation, approval, understanding, value, worth, unconditional love, etc.  Maintaining this restless focus is a fruitless pursuit.  I have to "gradually move... to the place where I can let myself be held and carried by God." He will supply all my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus (Phil 4:19).  The more I can rest in this place (Isa 30:15a), the more I am able to hold myself still in His presence (Ps 46:10a), the more I trust Him to keep His promises (2 Cor 1:20a), the more I can understand my identity as His child, the more I will find the unconditional love and acceptance I've been longing for (Eph 3:18-19).  He may even provide a community of human hands in the Body of Christ to tangibly demonstrate His love.

Translated and personalized from the section entitled Cry Inward from The Inner Voice of Love by Henri Nouwen.

No comments:

Post a Comment