"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Friday, January 20, 2012

By Faith

C.S Lewis spoke of "an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea."  And I wonder if I'm that child...

"By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 

By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; 


he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 


For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God." (Heb 11:8-10)


What if I'm weeping over mud pies when God wants to give me a vacation at the beach?  What if I'm clinging to costume jewelry when God is waiting for me to release my strangle hold so He can give me a more precious treasure?   

Abraham didn’t weep or mourn over leaving Ur.  He didn’t look backward.  He obeyed and went, looking forward with expectation.  Anticipation.  He let go of everything he had, completely changing his orientation, radically altering his paradigm, because he believed God was going to give him something better.  He was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.  Putting all his energy and focus into that journey.  

By faith Abraham obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.  By faith he made his home in the promised land, like a stranger in a foreign country.  Living in tents – ready to pick up, pack up, and move to follow God at a moment’s notice.  THIS is living by faith.  Never getting settled or comfortable where I am.  Having absolutely no idea where I am going or how I'm going to get there.  But following hard after God.  Desperately clinging to every precious Word.  Fully surrendered to the Spirit's leading.  

And I wonder if God is able to sustain this journey within community?  Is this exactly where it's supposed to happen?  Is this the way it's supposed to work?  Is this the friction, under pressure, working change?  Can the community continue to function during the changing process?  Or will it fracture or implode?  Do we believe Him to be able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us?  To bring Himself glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever--  Amen?  Changing one life is amazing grace.  Changing one life in community sometimes seems impossible.  But my God is the God of the impossible.

"By faith Abraham, even though he was past age--and Sarah herself was barren--was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise. 

And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore. 


All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. 


And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.  People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.


If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 


Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. 


Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."  (Heb 11:8-16)


There is no guarantee of receiving the promise.  I might still be living by faith when I die.  Only seeing the promise and welcoming it from a distance.  But I know that without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

I'm desperately trusting that Your word is a lamp to my feet, And a light to my path.  One step at at time.  All I know is that it took one man willing to believe and trust God.  Willing to believe the promise.  Of something better than what he left behind.  Making his home in the land promised to him – like a stranger in a foreign country.  And I believe that if, by the grace of God, I survive this surgery, the results will be glorious.  And by the grace of God, I will survive.  Even though I don't see how, He promised.  And He who has promised is faithful.  Be still and know that I am God.  Live by faith, not by sight.  Cling to what is good.  

One man willing to believe the impossible promise of God became the father of many nations because he considered Him faithful who made the promise.  Can I be that one man?  LORD, give me the faith to believe Your promise of a personal Promised Land, flowing with milk and honey.  LORD, give me the faith to believe Your promise of a corporate Promised Land, the Room of Grace.  LORD, give me the faith to believe Your mind-blowing promise of experiencing Gospel Love individually and in community.

I am so ready to watch God turn the “enemies of my joy into servants of my good."  For all of us.  "What a life!  Free from murmuring and complaint."  Free from weeping and mourning.  "And full of risk and joy and love!  Oh, Lord, help my wretched unbelief.  O, to believe this!  God, I want to live in this reality.  Help me.” - John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment