"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Curse of "Do More, Try Harder"

It has it's root in good intentions.  I am so grateful for salvation.  I want to live the rest of my life to please God.  I want to do everything possible in my power to live a godly life.  I know I don't live up to His perfect standards.  Those standards that put me in need of a Savior to begin with.  I believe that because I'm saved, my flesh is now capable of living the godly life I couldn't manage before salvation.  But I keep failing.  I confess, repent, and commit to try harder this time.  Or I reflect and find myself falling way short in some area.  I commit to do more.

"Lord, this time it's really gonna' work!  I'm serious now.  Because I love You, because I'm so grateful for salvation, I'm committed to making this happen!"  "I'm gonna' pray more, read my Bible more, witness more."  "I'm going to be self-disciplined."  "I am going to love."  "I'm going to stop sinning!"

BUT...  
the cycle continues.

fail --> guilt --> confess --> repent --> commit to do more, try harder --> fail

It's a curse.  A vicious cycle.
A LIE.

Why?  Because "do more, try harder" it is completely dependent on MY own personal self-effort.  MY self-righteousness.  Faith in MY self to change me.  Self-sanctification.

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?  (Gal 3:1-3 NIV)

And AGAIN ...

... Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?  (Gal 3:2b-3 NASB)

The good news is that we've been given a paradigm shift and a new set of tools to work with. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Mrs. A. :) This is a problem that the Lord has been working on in my life...kinda goes back to the post about doing things for God as opposed to simply spending time with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this way because I love to take credit for my "struggle." Pride is ugly. But you are beautiful and so are your thoughts. Thank you for sharing, SistaFriend!

    ReplyDelete