It's inevitable when you've spent any time in the Community of Believers. Experiencing the painful side of the process of refining. When you wound someone - and you feel SO bad. Or someone wounds you - and it hurts SO bad. The prophet's word becomes reality in your life: "'What are these wounds on your body?' 'The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.'" Zec 13:6
When you are wounded (intentionally or unintentionally), it hurts. Even though you think they love you. Even though you think they have your best interests at heart. Why is it painful? I don't know. Seems like it shouldn't hurt. I mean, wounds from a friend can be trusted, right? (Though sometimes the depth of pain suffered makes you question their love for you or their loyalty as a friend.)
Regardless of the level of pain, wounds are wounds. Wound - "an injury to the body (due to external violence, accident, or surgery) typically involving laceration or breaking of a membrane (such as the skin), and usually damage to underlying tissue." Yes, this describes physical wounds. But I believe we can draw some parallels from this definition to help understand emotional wounds. See what you think. Wounds are injuries. Wounds are painful. Wounds cause damage. The damage may not be merely superficial, but go deeper. Much deeper. They may be caused intentionally, accidentally, or through surgery. Wounds take time to heal. The wound site may stay tender for some time. Wounds may leave scars.
A couple questions arise - What is the Biblical response to being hurt? And what do I do with the pain?
A couple questions arise - What is the Biblical response to being hurt? And what do I do with the pain?
But first I need to confess my wrong reaction. The initial knee-jerk reaction of my flesh is to get revenge. To get even. To get recompense from the person inflicting the pain. "... life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise." Exo 21:23-25 I want the person that hurt me to feel my pain. To understand what they've done and how deeply I've been hurt. To feel the same level of pain that they've caused me.
But thankfully, Jesus shatters that miserable picture by His teaching and His life.
To be continued... The Pain of Forgiveness (Part 2)
To be continued... The Pain of Forgiveness (Part 2)

It is the opinion, the response, and the words from those we love that carry weight. Hurtful words and actions from mere acquaintances or strangers may sting for a moment, but usually roll off. But those same words coming from ones we love and value, those are the ones that can cut to the core.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this, Mrs. A and for giving me your wisdom when I was dealing with this problem. :)
Well said. And you're welcome. :)
ReplyDelete