"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Monday, December 19, 2011

The Pain of Forgiveness (Part 3)

... Continued from Part 2

How did Jesus demonstrate, by His life, the Biblical response to being wounded?  

I think this is one of the most beautiful pictures of forgiveness:
  • "When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals--one on his right, the other on his left.  Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.'"  Luke 23:33-34a  
They crucified Him.  Along with the criminals.  Like He's one of them.  Right in the middle of sin.  Jesus.  The perfect, innocent, holy Son of God.  The Second Person of the Trinity.  The One through whom all things were made.  King of kings.  Lord of lords.  They crucify Him.  Already beaten beyond recognition by previous wounds.  And what does He say?  "Father, forgive them..."  

What?!  Are you kidding me?!  

They laid His disfigured body on the wood.  They took up huge iron nails.  They hammered those nails through His flesh.  They raised Him up, practically naked, in front of the whole world, to die.  They knew the pain of crucifixion.  The murder was premeditated.  They killed the Creator of the universe.  "Father, forgive them..."

But wait.  He says, "Forgive them for they do not know what they are doing."  Jesus says the reason they should be forgiven is because they don't know what they are really doing.  They don't know WHO they are crucifying.  They don't know the depth of pain He is about to suffer at their hands as the sacrificial Lamb of God.  

Making this a perfect example of accidental, unintentional wounding.  When my friend aims a fiery dart, or multiple darts, straight at my heart.  And they have absolutely no idea what they are doing.  They have no idea what's already going on in my brain or my heart (maybe already beaten beyond recognition by previous wounds).  And I may not either.  Not until the dart hits.  They have no idea how deeply their firebrands penetrate.  They may even be trying to be helpful and encouraging.  But they have no idea how I actually take their words.  

And even though Jesus' murderers had no idea what real wounds they were inflicting, damage was done.  Pain was raging.  And it prompts me to ask a few questions - What was Jesus believing in this situation?  Is there some way I can think rightly so God can work forgiveness into my junked-up heart?  And what do I do with the pain?

But before we go there, what about wounds that are intentional?  Because we may get more pieces to the puzzle there.  And here is another, similar, beautiful picture of forgiveness:
  • "While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.'  Then he fell on his knees and cried out, 'Lord, do not hold this sin against them.' When he had said this, he fell asleep."  Acts 7:59-60
Similar situation, similar response.  But one huge difference.  Stephen was not God.  Not about to take the sin of the whole world on his shoulders.  Not about to be separated from the Father.  He did not ask God to forgive them because they didn't know what they were doing.  Because they did.  Intentional wounds.  They took up large rocks.  They showered those rocks upon his body.  They knew the pain of stoning.  The murder was premeditated.  They killed Stephen.  "Father, forgive them..."

Real wounds were inflicted, damage was done, pain was raging in both of these examples.  And it prompts me to ask a few questions - What were they believing in each situation?  Is there some way I can think rightly so God can work forgiveness into my junked-up heart?  And what do I do with the pain?

To be continued ... The Pain of Forgiveness (Part 4)


No comments:

Post a Comment