"For my determined purpose is that I may know Him, that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly, and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection which it exerts over believers, and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed in spirit into His likeness even to His death... " Phil 3:10 Amp

Saturday, December 3, 2011

You Are Who You Keep - updated

Character Theorem
Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."  (1 Cor 15:33) 

 Character Corollary
The more time I spend with Jesus, the more I'll become like Him.

Reverse Character Corollary
I will never become more like Jesus if I never spend any time with Him.

Whose company am I keeping?
Just something to think about.

Update 12/4:  Wrestling with Truth in our precious Community has made me aware of the need to define the term "character".  One of the many definitions from Webster’s 1913 dictionary is what I’m talking about – “that which a person or thing really is”.  Dictionary.com’s first definition states – “the aggregate features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing”.  To me “character” is who someone is on the inside, down deep, when they think no one is looking.  The real them.  Who they are.  So when I say "character", I simply mean who someone is.  Not what they must become or attain.  Everyone has character.  It's who they are.  And the Bible says that knowing Jesus by spending time with Him, reflecting Him, transforms our character.  Like this:

“When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.”  (Acts 4:13 NIV) 

Peter and John spent time with Jesus.  And in the process they were changed.  They weren’t after change.  They were after God.  And in the process they were changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment